Home > Lightroom, LR5, Smart Previews > Hacked By BALA SNIPER

Hacked By BALA SNIPER

Hacked By BALA SNIPER

Categories: Lightroom, LR5, Smart Previews Tags:
  1. Sam Ben-Meir
    October 16th, 2013 at 08:48 | #1

Bob,
    I’m not sure that i understand the process of APPLYING the edits done in Smart Preview (on .DNG lossy files that are part of the catalog, once created) BACK to the ORIGINAL .RAW files (that may reside in another location, etc.).
    Can you clarify?
    Thanks,
    Sam

Hank Reply:

Sam

The process is AUTOMATIC – the next time you reopen Lightroom with your database (Original RAW files) connected, all the adjustments to all your smart previews will be automatically copied from the smart previews into your catalog (and hence the original raw images) and then backed up normally (or not) when you next close LR!

Hank Reply:

Beat you by 3 minutes Bob – or as Paul would say LOL.

Bob DiNatale Reply:

Hank,

I agree with your comment with a couple of twists:

The process is AUTOMATIC – the next time you reopen Lightroom with your database (Original RAW files) connected, all the adjustments in your catalog – made using the proxy “smart previews” – will be applied to the “now present” original raw images. Should you disconnect the external drive the adjustments still reside in the catalog and now will be applied to the resident “smart previews”.

Bob DiNatale Reply:

Sam,

There is no “process of APPLYING the edits” done on the “Smart Previews”. The edits (whether done with original present or created Smart Previews – if original are not present) are saved in the Lightroom catalog. The edits are applied when: viewing the file on the screen; on Export to file; or applied when printed. If the original IS present, these edits are applied to the full res file. If the original is NOT present – and you have created a “Smart Preview”, the edits are applied to the “Smart Preview” on output.

2. Hank
    October 15th, 2013 at 23:04 | #2

I found 2 folders to make smart previews – one had 24 images (330Mb), the second one had 96 images (1.3Gb)

The 24 image one took about 10 seconds to complete and the 96 image one took about 35 seconds to complete.

Processor is an i7 (3rd generation) running at 3.5 GHz.

Hank

Bob DiNatale Reply:

Wow, that is fast. If I did the math correct:
    – 24 image in 10 seconds = 0.417 per/sec or = 144/min
    – 96 image in 35 seconds = 0.364 per/sec or = 164/min
    My new laptop with an i7 (4th generation) running at 2.4 GHz could do 105/min. Don’t understand stuff like 3.5 G vs. 2.4 GHz and Turbo Boost.

I’m thinking that producing SP at over 100/minute may be a good benchmark. A large 1000 image shoot would be about 10 minutes.

I will recheck my speed again. If someone else would like to try the “Smart Preview” build test and post it that might prove to be valuable information.

Thanks

Bob DiNatale Reply:

Hank,

I had another thought about speed of building “Smart Previews”… file size.

How many megapixels were you camera files? Mine where 14MP.

Bob

Hank Reply:

They vary from 12MP to 19MP with most in the 13-15 range – the sensor is rated at 10MP.

Hank

Bob DiNatale Reply:

So a 10 MP camera with file sizes from 12-19MB.

Mine is a 14MP camera with file sizes around 16-17MB.

I noticed the “SP” creation of my 2MP files from 11 year ago just flew through

3. sam
    October 14th, 2013 at 14:03 | #3

Bob,
    Indeed, the modified text is clear (and fits my understanding of what the process is…).

Thanks for the quick update.

Sam

4. sam
    October 14th, 2013 at 07:44 | #4

Bob,
    I like the write up in your blog…

However, I think that there is a lack of clarity regarding the location of the catalog (which would include the Smart Preview images, once created).
    Here is an excerpt from your blog:
    ================
    Lightroom 5 “Smart Previews” Workflow:

I attach my “master” external drive with original Photo to my laptop
    Import files from my card to my external “master” drive and “Build Smart Previews” (which reside with the catalog folder on the external drive.)
    Delete any files from previous editing while the external drive is attached
    Take “master external drive” off-line.
    =====================
    is this really so? if yes,how do you work the smart preview if the external drive is NOT connected?

Sam

Bob DiNatale Reply:

Sam,

Thanks, I thought the graphic of the system configuration would suffice but I see your point.
    I have reworded the “Overview” and changed the wording in my

LR Smart Previews” Workflow

Let me know if it is more clear.

Thanks again for your input. This is the power of the group communication that the blog affords.
    Bob

5. Hank
    October 13th, 2013 at 14:22 | #5

Nice summary of SP pros and cons as well as realistic new workflow.

Bob DiNatale Reply:

Hank,

Thanks. The images in this post were all “Smart Previews” exported from LR. If you click on the System Diagram inset you should get a larger image. You’ll notice the quality – just as if it was made from the original Tif file.

Bob DiNatale Reply:

Hank,

Is it possible for you to make 10 smart previews then 100 (as stated in “Time to Make Previews” above) and let me know the average time per previews.

Thanks, Bob

[Reply]

You can add images to your comment by clicking here.